Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Beebe

I finally got to go fishing on Thursday afternoon after a long week of homework, class and studying for a chemistry exam.  Although I didn't catch anything it felt so rewarding just to get off campus and enjoy a beautiful fall day. On Thursday I went to the Beebe River looking for some brookies.  There's a nice pool just downstream of the Route 175 bridge in Campton.  I didn't see any brookies but I'm sure there are probably some there.  I had tons of little Atlantic salmon parr hit small dry flies but didn't hook any.  Hopefully they will find their way to the ocean and return as adults to spawn!

After class yesterday I tried Perch Pond in Campton.  There didn't seem to be much trout activity going on within wading distance.  After no success there, I tried the Pemi by the Blair covered bridge in Campton.  Wasn't much surface activity and the water levels are still extremely low.  I did manage one fall fish on a stimulator.   It wasn't what I was looking for but at least I didn't get skunked!  I think I'm going to try the upper Mad River today for some brookies.  I'll definitely post some pictures if I am successful.

Here's some pictures of the Beebe from Thursday.




3 comments:

  1. These report posts have been great. When do things start winding down for the season? Can you go right up until rivers freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For most rivers in NH, the open season is from January 1st through October 15th. Although there are a few that have extended seasons and also a few that are open to fish year round. The best times of year to go for trout are during the spring and early summer. Fish start to become more active again in the fall when water temperatures start to cool but because of fishing pressure and such high water temps over the summer there aren't as many trout around in the fall. It is possible to catch trout in rivers during the winter but it takes some serious dedication. I fished quite a bit last winter and didn't catch very many trout but the ones that I did catch were some of the biggest ones that I've ever caught in NH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to temp the water in summer.It can warm up.It does come out of .black pond, hence the warm water.

    ReplyDelete