Monday, October 22, 2012

Short but Sweet Contoocook River Report

Hello Nation!  Sorry I haven't been posting much lately.  I haven't been able to fish much over the past few weeks.  It's been a long couple months at school being separated from my home river, The Contoocook.  I went home this past weekend and finally got to spend a decent amount of time on the old Tooky.  The red oak leaf bite was unheard of!  I caught and released about 50 of them in a matter of a few hours.  HAH.  But on a more serious note,  with Fridays rain, water levels went up quite a bit over the weekend.  From fishing the Tooky my entire life, I've found that it's usually not very good fishing just after the water goes up.  Once it starts going down again, trout activity usually heats up.  I was hoping for some brown trout action on the streamer but I was unsuccessful.  I did get to fish some new territory and one area I suspect there might be a native brook trout population.  If you know the Tooky well, you might think that I'm crazy from that last statement because of how high the temps in the Tooky get over the summer.  Guess we will just have to wait and see.  I can't reveal it's exact location but if I do find some natives in the area I will post some pictures of them and maybe give a hint or two about things to look for.  I'm not one who keeps secrets about fishing spots.  I like it when people catch fish, it's an amazing thing that everyone should experience.  I'll do what ever I can to help people get on the fish even if it's a complete stranger.  But when it comes to native brook trout populations, it's a different story.  These are usually small, fragile populations that could easily be affected in a negative way if they are not fished thoughtfully and respectfully.  It's truly amazing when stocked fish venture off into tiny tributaries and establish their own naturally reproducing populations.  Over the past few years, I've found a few streams like this that I don't believe anyone else really fishes.  I only tell people about them if I know that they are someone who will fish them respectfully and not tell the whole world about it.  It's really not that hard to properly handle fish and come to the realization that it's not every fish's destiny to end up in a frying pan with some butter.

I guess I should have thought of a proper title after I wrote this post... It's easy for me to get side tracked and go on and on about this stuff.  If anyone knew how much time everyday I spend thinking about fish, fishing and an infinite list of questions involving them, they would think that I'm nuts.

Although I didn't have any luck with the fishing this weekend,  I did shoot a banded Canadian goose on Saturday!  Shooting banded birds is a pretty rare thing and most serious duck hunters collect their bands.  Since I don't have any fish pictures to show on this report,  here's an awesome video that Orvis posted on Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment